Wednesday, November 15, 2023

ASK ME SOMETHING

I made the thing below a few weeks ago. It was born from a spontaneous meeting of unrelated scrap materials. My studio has quite a bit of stuff I keep in case I want to use it some time. There has to be mutual attraction between me and scraps I want to save from the rubbish bin, we have to click.


This one 'ASK ME SOMETHING' is small: Height: 18cm Width: 11cms Depth: 4cms
I posted a photo of it on Facebook where it was noticed by a blogger friend who then pointed it out to his mum: weaverofgrass.blogspot.com Lo and behold, to my great delight ASK ME SOMETHING is now hanging on a wall in Pat Thistlethwaite's home. She has named him Diego which suits him very well. Coincidentally and serendipitously (same thing) it was in Mexico, home of famous mural painter Diego Rivera, husband of famous painter Frida Kahlo, that I was a student of mural painting way back in 1956. But that's a long story. Here is my little construction. He is not Rivera but he is now a 'Diego'.

2 comments:

Traveller said...

Visiting from Weaver of Grass..

Mexico City in the 50s must have been incredible. It is one of my favourite cities. Rivera one of my favourite artists

I rather like your, now Pat’s, Diego

Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Hello Travelle, welcome and thanks. Sorry for my delay in replying. I'm posting more often on Facebook because comments are more frequent there whereas this blog spot has become a deserted island. If you feel like travelling over to the busier port of Facebook, here's my link:
https://www.facebook.com/natdarb

Yes, Mexico City was exciting then and so was San Miguel de Allende, the small town up in the hills where I studied at the Instituto Allende art school. Ah, the good old days!