Tuesday, September 24, 2019

EYEWITNESSING

Whether you believe the universe was designed by Richard Dawkins, Leonardo da Vinci, Walt Disney, an accidental merger of incompatible ideas or none of the above, ultimately we just want to talk about ourselves and I must tell you that it's not fair.

Why, at the relatively young age of ninety, should I suddenly be attacked by some of the slings and arrows of so-called "Old Age" when, up to now, due to my exceptionally good genetic CV I was guaranteed immunity? Don't tell me I didn't read the small print because up to yesterday...YESTERDAY.. I could and did read the small print on everything, food, cosmetic labels, advertisements, terms and conditions etc. 

Yesterday, in an eye-testing room at a local hospital, a doctor looked into my eyes and said, enthusiastically: Yes indeed you have cataracts in both eyes as well as some age-related symptoms.

Patiently, I explained that I am an Artist and that my excellent eyesight has been my life-long pride, joy and necessity. The doctor speaks softly into a microphone attached to his computer and gives it information. He then tells me I'll get a letter in a couple of months with an appointment for cataract surgery in the left eye and then a couple of months later, for the right eye. On the form I take to the desk on my way out he has written "Artist" under "Occupation".


Self-Portrait 2018


4 comments:

Tom said...

You have my sympathies, Natalie. Everything went well for me, here in France, when I had my eyes surgically sorted. The one piece of advice I would give you is to get confirmation that you are not allergic to any medications they may apply to your eyes. Best wishes.

Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Tom, thank you. I do remember your blog posts about your cataract surgery and that you were pleased with the result. Over here one is usually asked about allergies before any medical procedures so I imagine the same would apply before a cataract op.I don't think I have allegies but then I've never used any eye medications so who knows!

Catalyst said...

Cataract surgery is nothing, Natalie. You'll be seeing better in no time.

Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Yes, thanks Bruce. I'm seeing ok at the moment but need to have the ops done to prevent future problems. Anyway there's a long waiting time, a couple of months before the left eye, another couple of months before the right eye - am on the NHS. It costs a fortune I haven't got to have the ops done privately.