Sunday, June 03, 2012

FRAGMENTS OF A LIFE, Number One

Each artist in the Open Books exhibition was asked to send a framed work relevant to their accordion books, to be displayed alongside. So, after spreading all the stencils on my work table and staring at them for hours, I picked out just a few and moved them around until they seemed to fit together in a new and intriguing way. I pasted the assemblage down on a firm support, gave it a protective coat of acrylic, then painted it with oils. It's finished, framed and carefully packed to be sent to Wales by courier next week.

Fragments of a Life 1   2012   Collage, acrylic and oil on canvas board.  Approx size (framed): 37cms X 50cms 

 
I didn't consciously set out to tell a story in this picture and I'm still trying to figure out what it is telling me. The stencils I made had specific meanings in My Life Unfolds but recycling gives them new roles and I find this process stimulating, not unlike the I-Ching or Tarot, but with my own set of symbols. I will definitely be re-assembling the rest of them, perhaps as studies for paintings.

MORE

No comments: