Saturday, January 31, 2009

PAINTING THE SELF



Blogging is currently taking a back seat to real life. Am doing a self-portrait which I want to enter in this year's National Portrait Gallery BP Award and the deadline is in early March.

Painting from life is exhausting, at least to me. After only an hour's concentration I feel as if I've been plowing fields, chopping firewood, carrying buckets of water on my head and shearing sheep. Frequent coffee/tea/newspaper breaks are essential but tend to carry on too long and because of freakin short days of winter the light changes and so I have to turn on the electricity and then everything is different and so either I have to start again or stop for the day and do some drawings.

Here is a summary of what's been happening so far. I am not gloomy, it's just concentration that makes me look that way.

MORE

No comments: