Sunday, March 21, 2021

OVERDONE OBEDIENCE CHART

This is not art but it deserves a place in the Museum Of Overdone Things (MOOT). It is the chart I made four weeks ago after the second cataract operation to remind myself of when and which eyedrops I was supposed to insert daily and for how long. Without it I might have remembered the routine but can memory be trusted? No. Tomorrow, Monday, will be the last day of Maxidex but Monopost continues indefinitely. Those are my orders and I am obedient, within reason. If reason plays no part whatsoever in orders of any kind then I do not obey.

In order to see letters on screen and keyboard as I type this I am still using a large magnifying glass because close-up vision is more or less (expletive that rhymes with lucked). It was explained to me by the ophthalmic surgeon that near-vision will be restored when I get prescription glasses. I will go to high street opticians to have glasses prescribed in another week or so. Mustn't be too soon after the de-cataracting. I sort of miss my cataracts.

Et voilĂ . This explains why I haven't been posting lately. If I'd typed this without magnification and loads of corrections it would be nothing but typos.

4 comments:

Vincent said...

glad to know you are taking good care of yourself. "I sort of miss my cataracts"-- yes, that temporary feeling of regret, at not leaving things alone, knowing that now there is no turning back, whether the intervention was a good idea or not. Bless, you seem to be in very good hands . . .

Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Thanks Vincent. The peculiar thing is that my close-up vision was better before both eyes cataracts removal! I'm told by the consultant surgeon (very competent and nice person) that this happens for quite a large percentage of people. The distance vision is improved but glasses will definitely be needed for reading and all close-up work. Well, so be it. If I hadn't had the cataracts done, they get worse and then the op becomes more difficult. There we are!

Peter said...

I made a similar chart since my cataract operations were two weeks apart, and the three kinds of drops staggered over six weeks and two eyes got complicated fast. Mine wouldn't have made it to MOOT, however. I also opted for distant vision, and I've been using reading glasses since.

I also recently got my second poke -- Moderna in my case. So we're about up to date.

Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Peter, hello. I wasn't given the option to choose distant or near vision. It was just how it's usually done on the NHS. I would have chosen near vision since that's what I use most of the time. This is very hard to get used to since I never needed glasses before!
Glad you've had the vaccine. Keep well.