Saturday, November 02, 2019

MAKING SPACE

It's one of those days when I want to clear up, make space. If I were a farmer I would plow a field or if I were John Bercow I could shout ORDER OORRDERR!

My studio is too small for all the stuff, all the past accumulated, saved, roughly stored.

In an old portfolio I found this portrait of my sister Annie which I painted in Paris when I was eighteen and she was twenty-two. I like it. I also like this abstract around 1956 in Vermont, during my drawing-with-string period which didn't last very long.

ANNIE AT 22. NdA 1947. Oil on hessian (burlap) 38 x 46 cms (15 x 18 inches)  

CONNECTIONS. NdA circa 1956. Oil and string on board. 35 x 50 cms (14 x 20 inches)

2 comments:

Beth said...

That's a beautiful portrait, Natalie. I'm so sorry about Frances, and know this must be both sad and difficult for you. My sympathy, and gratitude for having met them with you at the book fair that time in London. A rare couple, who have done something quietly extraordinary with their lives.

Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Thnnk you Beth, I'm glad you got to meet them, however briefly. Frances had been ill for some time but I thought that she was getting better. Many people will miss her presence in the book arts world and of course among her family and friends.
Love to you and Jonathan.