Thursday, October 23, 2014

THE SIGNING

Folded sheets of milky white Canaletto Liscio, the text set in confident but not combative Storm Sans, beautifully printed in deep turquoise blue on one side and in maroon on the reverse... twenty four, yes twenty-four, different coloured inks have been used for the text throughout the book, complementing the strong black images.






The stack sitting on my table consists of one hundred and fifty copies of the final four pages of Trans-Siberian Prosody and Little Jeanne from France which Dick Jones, the translator of Blaise Cendrars' fabulously fabulating poem, and myself, its illustrator, spent this morning signing. This ritual usually takes place at the home of The Old Stile Press in Wales but geographical distance, time and logistics did not coalesce on this occasion and I'm recording it here for Posterity, whoever she might be.
 
I've eliminated my head from the photo below because...well, you can guess why. The word starts with V and is repeated twice in Latin and it means the camera either lies or tells the truth and some of us can't face it. Dick on the other hand looks fine so I've left his head in place.



The signing does not mean that the day of publication is upon us quite yet but only that this stack of sheets can now be sent back to The Old Stile Press, rejoining the much bigger stack of sheets for the whole book which will, when complete, be sent to the binders for beautiful binding designed by moi and Nicolas McDowall. Watch this space.

11 comments:

Catalyst said...

Initial congratulations!

Tom said...

It's good when the end of a successful project is in sight. Satisfaction is on the horizon, a quality fully earned.....by all.

Dick said...

It must be a trick of the light from the window but I appear to have a double chin and the beginnings of a jowelly jaw. Most unfortunate. You'll have to buy a kinder camera, Natalie!

Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Thanks Bruce, I'm looking forward to concluding congratulations as well!

Tom, that horizon isn't quite close enough to satisfy me yet but anyway there's definitely land over there and maybe a beach?

Dick, no camera is kind enough for me. Why do you think I cut off my head?

Adam said...

Wow! Fantastic! Congrats to all.

Hattie said...

We think we will become less vain as we age. The opposite is true.
But, be that as it may, congratulations on your completed project!

Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Thanks Adam. We'll expect more congrats when the book is actually finished and published and launched. All to be reported here.

Hattie, that's certainly true for me!
I'm not sure it's vanity though that's what I say to excuse myself. Maybe it's more a desire to keep one's identity from being misinterpreted?

Rain Trueax said...

Sounds great. Congratulations ;)

Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Thank you Rain. And good wishes for all your projects.

Beth said...

Once again, tried to leave you a comment with my phone but it isn't here. The gist of it was that I am thrilled to hear that you're nearing completion of this mammoth project, and that's it's great to see you and Dick doing the signing. At last!

Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Beth, as I've said above, throw away the smart phone!
Okay, you can keep it, but please come back and comment here in the old-fashioned way which, I guess, was simply on your computer rather than via the phone. It seems that the more gadgets we get the more high-tech the technology, the harder things become.
Anyway I'm always so glad to hear from you and yes, the Book is nearing completion but time of publication is still unknown. The binding is likely to be fairly slow.