Sunday, May 14, 2017

HAT TRICK

A little while ago George Szirtes posted photos of his grandfather and of himself in a hat and I was reminded of my father in this hat - not the same one of course - the kind of hat that men used to wear all the time, everywhere. When did this change? Why? I loved that hat, the look it gave to men's faces, rakish, serious, a bit louche, melancholy.

My father, Sacha, seemed to have this hat on most of the time, either leaving or returning from a trip. Here he is at three stages: in his fifties in Florence, in his sixties in Switzerland, in his nineties in London.




5 comments:

Catalyst said...

He was a style maven! I love the hat, too, and have one like it in my closet.

Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

How about pulling it out of the closet and taking a selfie of you in it, Bruce?

Should Fish More said...

I also have a similar, it's a Stetson Golden Century.

Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

SFM, photo, photo!

Hattie said...

My paternal grandfather wore a hat, and that's how I remember him. My maternal grandfather, who died long before I was born, was said to remark that a man who did not wear a hat did not have the head to wear it on.