Wednesday, February 03, 2016

A LA RECHERCHE

At 6:14 AM today I was drifting into sleep when, again, a sentence just popped up. This time it was in French:  "On peut forcer un souvenir" 
 
I had to get up and write it down. Later the rest arrived. Here it is, with my very rough, free translation below. I prefer the French version.

ON PEUT FORCER UN SOUVENIR

mais pas besoin de l'expliquer
passé, présent ou avenir
ne devraient pas se prolonger. 


Proust a cherché le temps perdu,
tant mieux pour lui, il l'a trouvé.
Heureusement qu' il n'a pas su
que sa recherche me fait bailler.

J'éspère vivement, O mes amis,
que mes vers ne vous causent pas offense.
Pour mon ennui, O je vous prie,
accordez-moi vôtre indulgence.

************************************************

YOU CAN FORCE A SOUVENIR 
 
but there's no need for explanations.
Past or future or now and here
don't have to be investigations.

Proust did find his temps perdu,
all praise to him, it was well drawn.
But thankfully he never knew
his research only makes me yawn.

I hope sincerely, O my friends,
that my verse doesn't cause offense
and for my undoubted ignorance
I pray grant me your indulgence.

2 comments:

Catalyst said...

I do not comprehend the French but your English translation fills me with satisfaction. Good one, Natalie.

Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Bruce, glad I've struck a chord.