Monday, July 20, 2015

TRANS-SIBERIAN BOOK:THE MOVIE

Dick Jones has posted on his Blaise Cendrars FaceBook page a report of our 6th July launch of Trans-Siberian Prosody and Little Jeanne from France at the London Review Bookshop.

I've uploaded my original video, the one that was projected onto the screen at the bookshop, to my FaceBook page (file too big to post here). The soundtrack is only a test recordings of Dick's reading and lacks Doug McGowan's music but it is the complete sequence of images I stitched together as a movie.

We were very glad to have Bill Garnett filming the live event. His version, which I've now also uploaded to FaceBook, focuses mainly on Dick reading and Doug playing, only occasionally turning the camera towards what is happening on the screen. This intimate view of the 'performers', if not a complete record of the 'performance' itself, gives a great sense of the ambiance and character of the evening.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats Natalie, wish i'd been there, looks like a great evening and a fitting launch for a marvellous book.

Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Thanks Phil, I wish you'd been there too. Hope your work is going well.

Anonymous said...

Just catching up after some months of little blogging... I watched some of the videos. It looks to have been a great event. It's great to hear poetry read with a "real" voice. Some poets (even the best - e.g., TS Eliot) adopt a pontificatory way of reciting their work which puts one off. Not DJ.

Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Dominic, I agree. I'm really allergic to poetry read in pontificating tones or any tones except a normal voice caught up in the poem itself.